Sunday, July 19, 2015

LAVA Rock



                             Show Review at the Pavilion Event Center

LAVA Rock
This has been a spectacular summer so far, and with all the outstanding talent to write about one can only imagine who will be featured this week for the Bad Americans. Our story begins with my dear friend Eddie Bak that was unable to attend the performance of LAVA Rock. Working the graveyard shift on Friday, Bak offers me two free tickets "Sure, I'll go to Northbrook and check these guys out," I said to myself. I took the tickets, and was off to Nickel City.

Next to Nickel City was the Pavilion Restaurant & Event Center that featured this Led Zeppelin tribute band. But it goes deeper than that folks. Let's examine the acronym for a moment, shall we? Led Zepplin, Aerosmith Van Halen and AC/DC Okay? Are you with me so far? Good. Let's move on and get this show review finished. The first order of business was to hunt down the bass player for a quick meet and greet. "My Mom and Dad got me into Led Zeppelin, explained bassist John Sullivan. We talked a little about AC/DC his 1970 Fender P Bass and "Thunderstruck."  With over 15 years of  bass playing experience Sullivan once played the drums. It was a brief conversation over some Chicken Wings as Sullivan waited for his Veggie Burger. "Good luck tonight," I said.  It's always good business to set down with one of the band members just before the show starts and from that point, I could tell that LAVA Rock was a great bunch guys.

Ordering some more food and drink, the curtain rises slowly and "Rock-n-Roll"  kicked-off the night. Members for this five piece ensemble include: Kerry Devine (Vocals) Gino Buonomici & Gerald Guzman (Lead Guitarist) and drummer, Robert Behnke. "Good Times, Bad Times" and "What is and Should Never Be" offered a solid performance as LAVA Rock played all the Zepplin classics on this Friday Night in July.  Devine's stage presence wooed the crowd with "The Ocean" as fans chanted along with the lyrics. "A Whole Lotta Love" and a killer drum solo performed by Behnke gave this group the cutting edge as they rocked the Pavilion Event Center.





The hour was getting late and I had a train to catch that would take me back to Chicago. Should I miss that Midnight express back home,there would be five hour walk back to my Castle. So, after LAVA Rock's first set was complete, it was time to go home. If you're a Led Zeppelin fan I urge you to grab a ticket and find that Black Dog inside the corner of your mind. With bigger venues slowly fading away, we'll start seeing more and more tributes like LAVA Rock in the future.

2 comments:

  1. How many sets did Lava Rock play Evil Genius?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good question for the band Alex. I think LAVA Rock completed three sets that night. Sweet Emotion was LAVA Rock's last song. That's all I can remember right now. Thanks for your response.

    ReplyDelete